Search This Blog

6.09.2011

Rhode Island's Best Kept Secret

Do you remember Pink Lady Slippers?

Cypripedium

I have always been intrigued by this unique flower and now that I have thoroughly researched it, I am even more intrigued. I can remember them from my childhood. If I wasn't in the pond, I was scouring the woods behind my house. I remember the first time I saw them in the woods. I was probably about 9 or 10 years old. I thought they were so pretty I picked one to bring home to my mom. I walked in the house, all proud of my find and announced to my mom that I had picked it especially for her. That is when I found out that they were illegal to pick or transplant because they were endangered.

Well, I hadn't thought about Lady Slippers in quite some time until a few months ago.  I'm not sure what triggered the thought, either.  Then, about 2 weeks ago, a friend told me that there we tons of them in bloom on her property and my obsession began.  I had to find one. Next thing you know, I'm jaunting in the woods on a mission to find these lovely specimens.

I found some.  They were beautiful.  But my obsession didn't stop there.  I started to research them.  Scouring the internet for whatever information I could find.  I learned a lot about these beauties.  For one thing, it can take upwards of three years for the seeds to germinate. Isn't that crazy?  Even then it can take another three years or more for them to mature enough to produce a flower. Isn't that crazy too? Overall, it can take 3-9 years to produce a flower.

More crazy facts about Lady Slippers:
  • Lady Slippers are wild orchids.
  • They are also known as the Moccasin Flower.
  • Walking through the forest, you will see these showy blooms from April - July.
  • The medicinal qualities of these plants are associated with that of Valerian root, which has a calming effect.  It was used in Europe to combat stress, anxiety, and depression, and used for muscle spasms and headaches.   
  • Native Americans used to the plant in love potions and to induce dreams.
  • Each seed sack contains 10-20 THOUSAND seeds!
  • Lady Slippers don't provide food for themselves as other plants do.  They get their nourishment from a fungus in the soil.  However, once root systems are fully established, they are able to sustain themselves.
  • Propagation of the plant is difficult. Bees and insects are drawn to the flower pouch by an attractive scent. Once the bee/insects enters the flower, they are trapped.  They cannot exit the way they entered and are forced to exit through an interior portion of the pouch.  On their way out (if they make it out), they pass the stigma, collecting the pollen, but only if they are a certain size. I found some great info on this here.
  • They are picky about their growing conditions, wanting moist (but not too moist) and sandy soil, patchy sun, and calm air conditions.
  • All of these factors contribute to the conservation efforts of these incredible plants.
Of everything I have read, it seems that any transplantation of these plants is usually unsuccessful.  Climate and propagation demands make it very difficult.  Probably the most interesting thing I have discovered, is that this plant is NOT extinct.  It's not even rare.  At least in Rhode Island.  (Massachusetts has a law protecting Lady Slippers)  I find that to be so interesting because anyone who knows what a Lady Slipper is, KNOWS that you cannot pick them.  Well, I have shocking news for you...it's all a myth.  Passed along from generation to generation.  However, it is likely because of this myth that the Lady Slipper is not rare and still propagating naturally today. And this year has been proof of that.    

The bottom line is that the Pink Lady Slipper is a fussy little lady.  She enjoys only the perfect conditions.  Scouring for them in the wild will not benefit anyone.  Likely the transplant will not take and overall the plant will suffer in the wild.  The good news is, is that if you are interested in trying your hand at growing these plants in your own yard, that are many labs that hand propagate these specimens. A google search will easily point you in the right direction. Please continue to protect these flowers by letting them be.

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I haven't seen one in years, not that I've been looking...lol
    Soooo...we can actually pick these flowers & use them in medicinal aids with out getting in trouble with the DEM then? But I can see why they really don't want us to thou, 6-9 years to produce a flower? Holy crap! I'm just not that patient! Have you checked out any nurseries to see if you can get some for your garden? That would be a nice addition to your yard! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I live in Maine they are protected.
    Very true as far as failing the transplant.The conditions for these need to be so precise that it is close to impossible that they will take hold. I am enjoying your blog and thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DancingFire - I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. It's a new-ish endeavor for me and I'm still trying to find my way. You, on the other hand, have an AMAZING blog! I came across it the other night and was so inspired! Are you self-taught?

    ReplyDelete