Search This Blog

5.27.2011

Country Livin' In The City

I like to read blogs. Mostly by authors who have hobby farms or gardening interests. Many who have homesteads. Up until a few years ago, I had an image in my mind that I could have that...when I had more time. I could have that...when I had more room/land. I could have that...when I could get my husband on board. What I came to realize was that if I stopped all the reading, and started some of the doing, then I could (maybe) have that too.

The fact of the matter is, my husband and I both have demanding jobs, we have three children and four grandchildren, and so life is busy.  If I wanted to have this type of lifestyle that I longed for, I would have to start in baby steps and watch things progress slowly.  So that is exactly what I did.

I saved my jumbo coffee containers. Then I purchased a metal garbage can. I drilled the holes in it, dug the hole to sink it, and viola! Ready to compost! Of course all of these steps took months.

Next, I started planting seeds at the greenhouse. I wanted to grow a variety of herbs but was concerned about the space limitations we had. I started to research container gardening. I ended up accidentally coming across an étagère on craigslist (basically an outdoor shelfing unit...I thought I had pictures, but I don't). This was a great solution for us. Seeds became plants and we had herbs coming out of our ears! 

About the same time, I inherited my grandmother's food dehydrator. Totally old school. Totally awesome! I researched a bit and then started harvesting herbs and drying them.  Some I washed and froze. It was experiment and that was okay because I had no experience to go on. None. And it all worked out fine. I had to let go and trust my instincts. Feeling confidant about my dehydrating experiments with herbs, I started to dehydrate all kinds of fruit, too. Yum!  Again, all of these steps took months.

Dehydrating led to taking a stab at veggie gardening. And this is what I am currently working on. I recently planted zucchini and summer squash in a bed that would normally be left for flowers. Why? Because it's in my front yard. I don't think I'm someone that could totally replace my front lawn with veggies, etc. but I'm trying to be creative to create more space for food stuff.  We are also working to put together two raised beds, as well.  All of these steps may take weeks or months. But that's okay.  We are working towards it.  I'm not just reading about it anymore.  I'm doing it.  And if it happens this year, great.  And if it doesn't, then there is always next year.

Zucchini 

New Veggie Bed With Driplines

New Veggie Bed

I still like to grow flowers and my husband wouldn't be able to give up his love for a vibrant, green lawn.  And there are definite things we can work on to be more sustainable.  But we are working on these, one thing at a time.  And that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment